About Webb Weekly

Webb Weekly is a family-oriented newspaper direct mailed to over 58,000 homes each week.

Webb Weekly

280 Kane St. STE #2
South Williamsport, PA
United States

Phone & Fax

Phone: 570-326-9322
Fax: 570-326-9383

Get In Touch With Us

Latest Issue


Williamsport Sun: November 2, 1953 – $40,000 Fire Damages New American Legion Home in Montoursville

A $40,000 blaze damaged the interior of the new American Legion Post Home at 1685 Broad Street, Montoursville, early this morning. The Willing Hand Hose Company arrived at the blaze at 5:58 a.m. Fifty-two volunteer firemen, headed by Chief Carl A. Bower, and two pumpers responded to the alarm this morning at the Legion Home.

A $40,000 blaze damaged the interior of the new American Legion Post Home at 1685 Broad Street, Montoursville, early this morning. The Willing Hand Hose Company arrived at the blaze at 5:58 a.m.

Fifty-two volunteer firemen, headed by Chief Carl A. Bower, and two pumpers responded to the alarm this morning at the Legion Home.

The interior was completely enveloped in flames when firemen arrived but within 20 minutes the flames were brought under control and were extinguished within an hour. About two minutes after firemen arrived they had four inch and one inch hoses pouring water on the flames.

Because of the hot and dense smoke firemen employed ventilation measures in combating the flames.

American Legion officials informed Chief Boer that they estimated the loss of the building, furnishings and equipment at about $40,000.

Investigation by Chief Bower prompted Chief Bower to issue a statement that the probable cause of the blaze was a cigarette butt in one of the booths at the west end of the large bar room.

The last employee of the Legion left the premises at about 2:55 this morning it was reported.

The fire was discovered by Harry Myers, a fireman who lives next door to the building. He saw smoke pouring from the building and immediately telephoned the alarm.

The meeting room of the post in the rear of the building was not damaged by the fire but there was some water and smoke damage.

The Legion moved into the newly-purchased home in May from their former location on Mill Street.