About Webb Weekly

Webb Weekly is a family-oriented newspaper direct mailed to over 58,000 homes each week.

Webb Weekly

280 Kane St. STE #2
South Williamsport, PA
United States

Phone & Fax

Phone: 570-326-9322
Fax: 570-326-9383

Get In Touch With Us

Latest Issue


Annual Memorial Service at Old Immanuel Lutheran Church

Annual Memorial Service at Old Immanuel Lutheran Church

Vicar Mindelle Bartholomew, Vicar of St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church, Shamokin Dam, and Chaplain-elect of Lycoming Chapter, DAR, will be preaching and leading worship at the Annual Memorial Service at Old Immanuel Lutheran Church, 2633 Lime Bluff Road, Muncy, on Sunday, June 26, 2022, at 2:30 p.m. Brian Hess, organist and choir director at Messiah Lutheran

Vicar Mindelle Bartholomew, Vicar of St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church, Shamokin Dam, and Chaplain-elect of Lycoming Chapter, DAR, will be preaching and leading worship at the Annual Memorial Service at Old Immanuel Lutheran Church, 2633 Lime Bluff Road, Muncy, on Sunday, June 26, 2022, at 2:30 p.m.

Brian Hess, organist and choir director at Messiah Lutheran Church, Clarkstown, will accompany the service. The service will begin in the church and end in the historic cemetery, where those who have gone before us will be remembered.

Old Immanuel is considered to be the mother church of Lutheranism in Lycoming County. Founded in 1791, it lived until its doors shut permanently in 1920. The first structure built on the property was of log; the second and third (the remaining) structures were of brick. The current building was dedicated in 1869 and contains two cornerstones, one in German dated 1832 and one in English dated 1869. At least nine Revolutionary and five Civil War soldiers are buried in the historic cemetery. The church was built on land donated by Henry and Barbara Shoemaker of “Shoemaker Mills” at the Routes 442/405 intersection.

At one time, a school was associated with Old Immanuel, and the church contained a gallery, a wine-glass pulpit, and enough straight-backed pews to seat 600 people.

Old Immanuel closed its doors for regular services in 1920, after giving rise to 19 other Lutheran congregations.

Some of these have also closed their doors, such as Moreland Lutheran, Trinity (Huntersville), St. Paul’s (Millville), Germany Church, Katy’s Church, St; Mark’s (Lairdsville), Christ Lutheran (Montgomery), Messiah (Alvira), the Stone Church in Elimsport, and Zion’s, also in Elimsport. Some of these churches have taken on new identities as they have become home to other congregations.

Churches that have sprung up from Old Immanuel that continue with the Lutheran tradition include Trinity and Mount Zion, Hughesville; St. Andrew’s, Muncy; St. James, Muncy; Messiah, Clarkstown; St. John’s, Gordner’s Grove; St. John’s (Brick), Montgomery; and Bethany, Montoursville.

The public is invited to attend this service and tour the historic church. Light refreshments will be served after the service. Please note that the church does not have running water or electricity. For more information, or to follow Old Immanuel more closely, “Like” us on Facebook!!!

Press Release
CONTRIBUTOR
PROFILE