October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and this week’s issue has a ton of great information regarding breast health and early detection. Many thanks to Lou, Susquehanna Health, and Evangelical for providing us with such great information. So the only thing I will add is this – Ladies, remember your monthly checks. Early detection saves lives.
October is also Adopt a Shelter Dog month. If you are considering adding a furry friend to your family the SPCA is the best place to go!
Before you adopt, however, the Lycoming County SPCA wants you to ask yourself:
• Many pets live 10 to 15 years. How old will you be? How old will your children be?
• Is there a chance you could move in the next 10 years? Are you willing to restrict your choice of housing to accommodate a pet?
• If the pet is for a child are you willing to assume the care of the pet? Children must have parental guidance to care for a pet regardless of their age.
• Each breed of animal has genetic characteristics that need to be considered. Have you researched the breed that you are interested in?
• Are you financially prepared for a pet? Consider the following expenses: spaying or neutering, basic veterinary care, flea preventative, heartworm preventative, license, food, grooming.
Personally, I am more of a cat person than dog, but who can resist an adorable dog? Dogs are friendly, loyal, always happy to see you and are there to lean on when you need them.
Plus, dogs love you unconditionally. My cats? They tolerate my existence in their home because I feed them.
The SPCA has a lot of great dogs just waiting for you to take them home and love them!
Even if you aren’t ready to add a pet to your home, the SPCA can always use a little help. In addition to always welcome monetary donations the SPCA is also in need of:
• Laundry Detergent and bleach
• Cash donations to help pay for medicines
• Postage Stamps
• Foil Bagged Dog Treats and Pig Ears
• Gift cards for office supplies, department stores
• Gasoline Cards for our Humane Officers trucks
• Heavy Load Trash Bags
• Gift cards to purchase interactive toys.
The SPCA is also running a special this fall! The Lycoming County SPCA is celebrating the arrival of autumn with their “Fall into Love” special adoption offer. Beginning on Wednesday, September 23, 2015, 55 adoptable animals at the shelter will have a sealed envelope with a colored leaf within. Each leaf color designates a discount from 10 to 30 percent off the adoption fee. Two lucky adopters will get their adoption free! The “Fall into Love” special will run until all 55 leaves are gone. The leaves will go on display with the adopted animal’s name noted on the leaf.
The adorably adoptable dog pictured here is Shorty. According the lycomingcountyspca.org “Shorty is handler oriented and quiet when not around other animals. He needs to be the only pet. His best home would know all about bully breeds and have an escape proof fence.”
So please consider adding a shelter dog to your family this month.